I recently got a Raspberry Pi B+ for a small audio streaming project. The objective is to setup a audio streaming icecast source client (using darkice) that records to SD, using any network. User intervention not required other than plugging in power.
I ordered from http://www.pifactory.co.za/ and it got delivered two days later. A few other places I tried had run out of stock of the Model B, so I had to go with the B+. I have included the components that I bought at the bottom of this page, which in total came out to R1,233.48, which included R100 for delivery.
Separately, I bought a USB sound card and 4GB SD card from Matrix Warehouse for R50 each.
Summary of the steps I followed to do the setup:
- Write raspbian.img to the SD card from Mac using http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup
- Plug in SD card and power. Figure out the DHCP address which the router assigned
- setup darkice using http://www.t3node.com/blog/live-streaming-mp3-audio-with-darkice-and-icecast2-on-raspberry-pi/ and cron scripts (written by a friend)
- Setup WiFi using http://ivanx.com/raspberrypi/raspberrypi_wifi.html
- Plug in USB sound card - it just works
So when it boots up, darkice connects automatically, and it records to SD. It can use ethernet or WiFi; I know need to setup connecting using a 3G USB dongle.
Next step, figure out how to use the On/Off switch using http://www.pi-supply.com/pi-supply-switch-v1-1-assembly-instructions/
1 x RASPBERY PI MODEL B+ - R445.00 SKU: SC13456 1 x Raspberry Pi Power Supply - R89.00 SKU: PW03043 1 x Pi Supply Switch – On/Off Power Switch for Raspberry Pi - R189.00 SKU: PSUSWITCH 1 x B+ ENCLOSURE, RASPBERRY PI, BLACK - R99.00 SKU: SC13460 1 x Miniature WiFi (802.11b/g/n) Module: For Raspberry Pi and more - R160.00 SKU: ADA814